Sunday, September 1, 2013

9-1-2013 Bubbles! (Burbujas!)


 

I need to put in a teeny tiny plug for volunteering. 

       
In a conversation with Brianne the other day, she shared a wish to be on the board for Zoey's preschool and/or help with the PTA...which made me think of Kristen’s “bubble” parable. 

Last week, Marie Ricks, one of Kristen's favorite "Education Week" teachers, explained that seasons of our lives are like bubbles.  Fixing our attention on the bubble we are presently living, fixing our attention on the season that we are in, and working to be immersed or “all the way in” will bless our lives and lives of others.  And oh, by the way, this bubble is temporary, and may “pop” any minute! 

Since Val and I are in a particular bubble, maybe I could share a little of what brought us here.  

My sister in law told me that one of her neighbors had invited her to “come and see.”  Her neighbor worked at the Bountiful temple one day a week and thought Gloria might enjoy it.  

“I put it off for a long time--thought there would be a lot of hard learning and it would take hours that I did not have”  was a reflection later. Then Gloria started.  Well, Kristen reports from last week’s gatherings--Heavenly Father has power to stretch and shrink time.  



If we put the things that help us stretch 
Val, strettttttttttttching! (every day.)
 (He told me to write this.)




and grow and give first, a 16 hour day can turn into what feels like 36 hours (this could be a curse rather than blessing to some of us!)  The thought is that somehow the things that we need and want to be and do will find a way of fitting in when they are put in the right order. 






The neighbor recommended Gloria.  Gloria told her bishop she was available and within weeks she was invited to begin. So, Gloria started working early shift.  It required her to rise “before day” and she gave up every Tuesday of her week.   

 “Oh, you have to work in the temple tomorrow!” I would say.  And she would reply, “No, I get to!”  She liked the atmosphere, being in a place of calm and inspiration.  She learned faster than she thought, and found it was not a race, no deadlines. 

The thing she was not planning on—quite a surprise in a place that older people are known to participate and work—“I did not realize what kind of good friendships that I would make.”  Dear, dear friends.  Good, good people.  And I think that is what happens when we raise our hand 


and “step to the plate,” stepping up to any place where we can love and help.  A long time ago in a place we don’t remember, a question was asked about who might volunteer.  A valiant person offered, “Here am I! Send me.”

In our temple, some of the hard jobs are neglected, because the rest of us are getting “lost” in the laundry.  Reading Genesis, something caught my eye:  “And the Lord God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?  Genesis 3:9 (emphasis added.)  So, where are we?



Hugh Nibley writes that people of different epochs and lands have been known to seek or create places of light and learning, “to get their bearings” in the universe.  He proposes that people did this with Stonehenge and continue to build and attend and travel to find such a place for seasons and centuries. 



Maybe we don’t need to go anywhere to ask, “Where am I”?  We can do it here and now.  Am I reading with my children enough?  Have I called my mom?  What is a good book I could read right now?  Is there a neighbor that needs a knock on a door?   Here is a suggestion:  think of a place to be present, even if it is “at home” and make a plunge.  Being all the way in, the Lord can stretch our hours, magnify our abilities, “raise up friends and pour out peace.”   

And it may bring you places you never dreamed!  


Blessings to you, 
From Laurene and Val

No comments: