Sunday, February 2, 2014

Keep Your Eyes Fixed

Sister Godoy is coordinator on Saturdays.  One October Saturday in the middle of the flurries of finding lodging for our trip South, when there were maybe two other workers in our afternoon turn, Hermana Godoy invited me out of our daily capacitation meeting to invite me to accompany a Primary Program in the ward where her daughter Vicky Torres serves as counselor. 
This is Vicky with her husband, Pres. Torres, of Guaymora Stake

I said yes, of course, until I realized it would take hours of time on Sundays, the only day I had to plan with Val.  So, we talked about limits, and I offered to help when we returned.  The program was 17 November.  I would be available 5 November.  It would be quick, but I would be willing.  They must have been desperate, because she still wanted me.  

Because we got home a bit earlier than planned, I announced our arrival and began to help Sunday the 4th.  And the following Saturday.  The next Wednesday a practice was scheduled.  The oldest son of the Torres family turned 12 and wanted to spend his birthday doing baptisms in the temple.  Vicky and her husband picked me up afterward, with their son and another temple worker.  I mentioned that my seat belt did not attach.  It was 6:30 p.m. and there were colas everywhere (this is not a drink, it is a traffic jam--something you can expect from about 4:30 to 7:30 in most parts of the city.)

President Torres assured us that because it was he driving, that we could relax.  It would be different if it were his wife!  So we piled in the back, heading for the nearest Mall, where the Young Men would be seeing Thor.

We merged onto Anillo Preferico, or belt loop that surround the city, to learn that it was plugged.  Deciding this route was not going to get us where we needed to go fast enough, our driver found another on ramp and backed down it, to the sound of annoyed horns from a few semi trucks going the other way (gratefully in a measured way.)  In response to the honking, our little SUV (chosen by many Teguc dwellers, if they can afford a vehicle, due to the large array of pot holes in the road) navigated a quick left toward another on ramp headed again to City Mall.  I felt the pedal hit the metal for 1/2 a block (I did not have presence of mind to peer over at the speedometer, but there are generally not limits here--if there were, they are generally not enforced) until we quickly met another snag and slugged through traffic until our destination. 

When we arrived at the mall's underground parking, Josue and his dad found their way to the Young Men's group and Vicky called home to learn from Sister Roudales, their Primary President, that though it was well past 7 p.m., the designated hour for the practice, none of the children were there.  They would cancel the practice and return me to the temple.  (No problem, it was Relief Society night.  Because I had morning shift, a one out of three chance, I could go!  They were showing "Jackie Robinson," which when I wondered if it exactly fit in a church setting, I was assured--it is a true story--that is why we picked it.  If it is true, it has to be good.) 
Here is some of my ward Relief Society.  It actually has Sister Roudales, the other Primary President, visiting--middle, wearing the white necklace--she moved stakes.  She and Sister Lagos (red print 4th from left) had two children marry each other.

Lessons learned:
1.  Don't count on seatbelts, even if you see them.  
2.  Avoid rush hour, if you plan to arrive anywhere in a timely manner.
3.  Be flexible--you may find yourself a place you had not expected, and you might learn something else.

I think we practiced maybe three times.  The children got progressively better. I learned that (at least the English) LDS.org music site allows you to transpose any hymn or Children's Song up or down to fit the voices of the singers.  
We used this method for "I Like to Look for Rainbows" and here is one as we look east from our temple hill.
Far right is one of the teachers and her little girl, who sang a solo.  

I had an enjoyable time accompanying them--and all went well (until during the program, I noticed that the children doing American Sign Language on one of the songs--so interesting--I wanted to watch--until I remembered I was playing and had to hunt for my place!)

Lesson learned--there can be marked consequences in looking for signs!

Another side note:  in being transported, one day, I spoke with the Primary President.  Her daughter, a counselor to her in the Primary, is an attorney, married to a medical resident, brother to her brother's wife. Many young adults here are making challenging choices that allow them to serve fully.  And those who marry members, may find their future children have closely connected cousins!


More soon.  Short is good for Kristen, but Maria wonders where she fits…she wants to see her pictures!  Stay tuned. 

A post script--Here is Lourdes, the Primary president for our ward with her family.  Our ward did not ask for help with their program, because each of the songs were played by children!!  Her daughter, maybe age 3, has memorized all 13 Articles of Faith, and sang a solo in our program.

Here is Rachel, granddaughter to President O., who played for our full meeting today on her 9th birthday.
A big wow to brave hearts and hands!

No comments: