Friday, August 2, 2013

07-29-13 Put Aside the Things of this World--Seek for the Things of a Better



7-29-13
Put Aside the Things of this World--Seek for the Things of a Better


I kept telling myself that one day I would devote a letter to the things I have not been able to find in Honduras.  And the list has been a long one, However, one of the most repeated themes in holy writ would be “seek and ye shall find, ask and it shall be given unto you…”  So, after an activity on emergency preparedness, I inquired where to find certain items, and a ward sister offered to help me.  On a Saturday after the morning shift, Herman Lagos brought her husband, a gynecologist (and a patriarch I learned yesterday) who had been on call the previous night to drive me to the city center.  Here I discovered a store that, although in Spanish says, “More for Less”  


it might more aptly read “More for More.”  However, I did not so much worry about price upon finding quinoa (a Peruvian grain that Val has used for years.) Even though it cost more here, we found some!  They even sold black and a red quinoa, but don’t ask the price.  The shelves carried bubbles and a soft vegetable brush, and more. 
Try this for a back brush, someday,
if we really are what we eat!

So last Monday, I decided to bring Val:   We hopped a taxi, and made our way into Central Park
Talk about climbing a family tree!
Here are the roots!


This is a statue honoring Francisco Morazán, 
first president of Central America




 


next to a cathedral of Michael the Archangel.  At my insistence, we ate at a Hondurian McDonalds before wandering down to the National Art Gallery.  


From prehistoric ruins... 
This is the Mayan version of our blog!

The Mayans had better play dough tools than we do

Not sure if this would have been
for milk or garbage,
but I want one!
Best selection of pots and containers
we have yet seen!


 to courtyards

to modern art with intimations on the resuscitation of Lazarus,
Michael Angel Ruiz Matutte
de la serie "Lázaro a la Luz"
 



we took respite  from the bustling crowds 

to enjoy a taste of the past and an artistic perspective 
 















after finding directions to what is said to be the city’s largest hardware store, Larach.


It was here that not only did we locate drains for our sinks and AAA batteries, but we secured black crepe paper, pens, and pencil sharpeners.    On my way out the door, I saw gardening fodder.  Maybe they would have a pot for the parsley I found in the neighborhood grocery wrapped in plastic!

This is the Honduran artist's view of what 

I am hoping my four plants will do 
in my window sill facing east
Sure enough, climbing stairs to find the pots, a whole new portion of store came into view—a Disneyland Ferreteria!  This time, we found a cepillio, or back brush to use in the tub, that we have inquired about in more stores than I can count, to crossed eyes and scratching head. 

I found scrubbers for the hard water ring around the toilet—jury is still out on that one.  Val found two pill minders like the one I forgot, for yes, three dollars not 13!  

Our last discovery was pans--one cast iron and a few stainless steel to substitute for the Calphalon pans that Val decided would give off PFOAs or perflourooctanoic aid upon reaching over 450 degrees Farenheit,  which normally is not a problem, unless, like some of us, you leave in a rush with red beans still simmering during a 9 hour temple shift.  

The rushing day did happen to be Pioneer Day.  And it was a otherwise good day--I was allowed to play the organ, and to a list of approved hymns, I added “Come, Come Ye Saints.”   I don’t bend the rules as a rule, but Amber suggested later that Heavenly Father might like the song…it felt so good to play this (on July 24th!) when no one around was remembering. 

So back to our wonderful find!  Delighted, Val helped me pack a couple of huge handled bags, 
and we waddled down a busy city central street, found a taxi to Mas por Menos, where we shopped again.  Remember, it is not Val’s cup of tea to shop.  He was done before we began.  But when we finished, with all our bags filled, it was time to replace the taxi cash.  “Would you like to be scout, or mind the store?” Val asked.  He was tired, so I asked him to wait by the groceries while I crossed the busy street.  “Be careful!” was his final caution, as I headed toward four lanes of unmitigated flow.  But oh!  There was a light.  Even one with a green left turn arrow—a rarity for both in these parts!  I first headed to the convenience store and tried an ATM that wanted VISA not MASTER CARD before scoping out a bank drive-thru with internal service people  but none willing to impart Honduran Lempira.  I started back toward the traffic light.  Red—good!  It did not occur to me to think how red the light might be.  It was red for about three seconds during my first steps to the middle of the four lanes.   No pedestrian lights here! (click to see a true to life stoplight of Tegucigalpa.)

In front of cars that were ready to make a left, I realized the light had just changed to green.  Two choices—regress back or move forward.  I knew the people behind me were moving through the light. As the car in the middle happened to be a huge truck, there was no visibility beyond the middle.  I ventured forth, hoping.  EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEkk….urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrch!!!  Cars in the third and fourth lanes had not seen me, and there I was.  Grateful I am for brake pads, functioning tires, and guardian angels.  Brother Bassett thinks I am wearing mine out.  But this week, as I have helped sisters prepare for missions and do work for grandparents and others, the lyrics of a number by Steven’s family at Dad’s funeral have echoed through my mind: 

Teach a child while in his youth
Teach a child how to love the truth
And the covenants and promises he makes
Will be a shield and protection
Through all of his days
(Teach a Child by Steven Kapp Perry, sung as backdrop to:  “I Love to See the Temple.”)

I believe.   Saturday morning coming home from nearby “City Mall” to return a faulty item, we listened to our taxi driver 
who told us of living in Texas.  I told him I liked San Antonio, too, remembering our October 2011 adventure with my dad and appreciation of his scientific contributions.  

 


You may remember some of these shots from 2011--Mom at the Alamo
Dad, being honored for 50 years in SSSA
 


Explaining my father’s passing brought a touch of weeping.  

My tears solicited words of solace from the taxista who assured us of an afterlife, and then described his own after-death experience following a “choco” or automobile crash.
The best I can do in imagining what our taxista was describing
The humor hit me as his rattling vehicle shook its way up our temple hill—choking back terror and swallowing anxiety to hear of brushes with death or living through them—while sharing convictions in another tongue of power beyond our own.  





Speaking of courage, yesterday a coworker complimented me for “valor.”  Hearing a report of a nearby hair salon (four-hour haircuts) I took scissors into my own hands.  So far, so good, until working toward the posterior--our mirror is limited; cutting by Braille has not been my greatest forte.  Since I have an ingeniero esposo with tools like this 

 to measure with , why not “ask and knock”?   With rave reviews--Elder Starkey may need to quit his day job! 

Monday July 29, Zoey turned three!  She has the world by the tail. 
Central Park, Teguc

Last week her heart physician gave her thumbs up--no check up needed for three years.  Grateful for healing and birthday celebrations!  Candles for Kristen come next—this Sunday while she rests from rushing to Rushmore.  


I joined Anna on her big Washington D.C. temple day last Tuesday, just copied her doing things she would have been doing; and today, I met a new misionera from D.C. who radiated...and knew the gospel backward and forward.  


After our ventures into the town, including brushes with the brink of danger, we are beginning to lean with Emma Smith in deciding to "lay aside the athings of this bworld, and cseek for the things of a dbetter."  (Doctrine and Covenants 25:10)  Advancing to August, may your doings be directed such:  to alift up thy heart and brejoice!    (Doctrine and Covenants 25:13)
Val and Laurene

No comments: