Thursday, December 8, 2011

Mastering 440,000 square feet



During the last half of the Monday Conferences, Carma, Pat, and I visited the Alamo. 


  
After the banquet and a short night, James scored an unexpected one-stop return flight early Tuesday and was able to help Carma and Patrick make their Seattle connection with a minute or two to spare. 

After finding closer accommodations, Mom and I did a river tour and meandered the city while Dad took in another day of meetings.  








I was to meet my father at 8 p.m. at a reception to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the Soil Science Society of America.  Dad had given us tickets earlier in the day, and I was to meet at or near The Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center, which has 67 rooms and 440,000 square feet of exhibition space. 


                                               This is great for seeing exhibitions. 



It is less than good, when the invitation in question is lost. It was 8 p.m. and no father was to be found. 


I called Kristen, Amber, and Val to ask them to pray for me, as I realized I was on my own.  Val did answer, and Amber called back, shortly after I visited the empty information booth with a lead from the security officer.  "Try the Arneson Theatre (people have been asking me directions there.)"  So, I walked intrepidly to find this elusive River Theatre. 




After I hung up with Amber, people around in every direction but none appearing familiar or connected, I saw a man passing me with a name badge on a green lanyard that matched mine.

"Sir, your badge matches mine.  Where are you coming from?  Can you direct me?" He sent me straight, down the street, and then my father serendipitously called.  (His phone had been off as it rings like a cow mooing, not being appropriate for awards banquets.)  Dad directed me to him. 

                       The 440,000 square feet were mastered--prayer conquers all!







No comments: